Thursday, October 16, 2008

Simply Irresistible Part 5

This is part 5 of a series on the doctrine of Irresistible Grace. Here are parts 1, 2, 3, and 4.

This week I want to show you the connection between the atonement of Christ and regeneration. Several texts in the Old Testament promise the New Covenant. Jeremiah 31:31 speaks of this New Covenant and connects two interesting acts of God. He says in Jeremiah 31:33-34 "I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts...they shall all know me...I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." Ezekiel 36:23 tells of how God will vindicate His holiness. This, like when Jeremiah speaks of forgiveness, is about the atonement of Christ (see Romans 3:25-26). What does Ezekiel continue to say? "I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh...I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes" (Ezekiel 36:26-27). Both Ezekiel and Jeremiah show an undeniable connection between the atonement of Christ and regeneration.

This may sounds boring but it's extremely important for two doctrines, namely the scope of the atonement of Christ and the new birth. In Luke 22:20 Jesus says that his blood is of the "new covenant." The New Covenant cannot be for everyone; if God causes someone to know Him and walk in His statutes they are saved.

Ephesians 2 is a good illustration for this connection. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Paul begins by talking about how we were once dead in sin, (Ephesians 2:4-7) But God, Paul says, made us alive. The alternative view of these two doctrines would say that Paul is talking about God intervening in our lives by providing an atonement. Once we hear about this atonement we respond in faith and God responds to that with regeneration. What Paul is saying is that we were dead and couldn't do anything to save ourselves and God provided an atonement for us and then made us alive giving us the ability to even respond to Him in faith. This is truly amazing grace.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

1 comment:

JRL said...

I love the atonement!!!!!

"Full atonement can it be?
Hallelujah, what a Savior"