Friday, October 10, 2008

David's Unknown Redeemer

During this season all of the other kings resolve to go to war
Surely I am greater than they, Joab will go, he will be the one to fight
Walking along my rooftop my eyes fix on a woman of intoxicating allure
My thoughts inquire about this queen, I summon her for an ardent night
What is this news a messenger brings? Is the war going well?
I am not here to tell you of battle, my king Bathsheba has conceived

Surely the Creator will not cover my wrong and will give this child my traits
Send for Uriah! With his wife he must lie that I may escape the judgment of this lie
My scheming has been futile, he will not drink of his marriage, my one and only bait
I now must resolve to end this matter, his message will betray him, Uriah the Hittite must die.

Uriah is fallen, the child is born, life continues as before
What a pleasant surprise! Nathan the prophet is knocking at my door
What is this news a messenger brings? Is the war going well?
No my king, he sternly replies, a story of great injustice is what I am here to tell
The rich man has stolen the poor man's lamb? Death must be his sentence!
"You are the man!" echoes in my ears, I fall to my knees in repentance.

"I have sinned against the LORD" I cry! For this crime I must die!
The rich man has stolen the poor man's wife, this act of treason must cost his life
A wave of calm flows through my soul, what did the prophet just say?
"The Lord has put away your sin" your debt of life He will pay
What is this peculiar justice my God has conjured up?
His greatness demands my life, shall he drink of my pitiful cup?
Amazing love, how can this be? Who will He give to die for me?

See 2 Samuel 11-12

No comments: