Tuesday, January 20, 2009

God's Sovereignty, Barack Obama's Inaguration, and Roe vs. Wade Part 1

As an American I am used to being considered one of the “good guys.” I never grew up thinking that I was living in an evil nation. In fact, to some degree, I still don’t think that. I have the tenancy to think that if I lived in Russia or Iran I would have no pride for my country and would wish that we could just be like the good Americans. That is not to say that some of the thoughts I have had about the nation were not right. I was always told, and only now understand to some degree, that I should be thankful for this country and the freedoms I enjoy. But on this historic day I do wonder what is God’s plan for America in history and in the future.

The book of Habakkuk gives a good example of what can happen to nations like America. The book begins with Habakkuk’s complaint to God that the nation of Israel had become so wicked. “Why do you make me see iniquity, and why do you idly look at wrong?” he complains in 1:3.
God’s response turns out to be even more troubling for him, “I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told. For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, who march through the breadth of the earth, to seize dwellings not their own” (1:5-6). So God troubles Habakkuk even more by telling him that the people of Israel will be judged by a nation even more wicked than themselves.

So it could be said that God used bad people to do a good thing, namely, being used by God to purge Israel of sin and wickedness. But God did not ignore the sin of these people. Chapter 2 talks about the judgment of the same people God is raising up to be used in judgment of Israel:

You will have your fill of shame instead of glory. Drink, yourself, and show your uncircumcision! The cup in the Lord's right hand will come around to you, and utter shame will come upon your glory!

This is one of many “woe’s” pronounced to the Chaldeans in 2:6 and following but to me it is the most fearful resemblance of America. It focuses on the shame that is being pronounced to the Chaldeans.

Tomorrow I will give a little more application to what God reveals about His relation to the nations. For a some insight on this historic day I highly recommend reading this post by John Piper.

No comments: