Friday, January 23, 2009

Bible Study: Romans 3:9-20 "...no, not one..."

What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
“Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
“Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
in their paths are ruin and misery,
and the way of peace they have not known.”
“There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

Do I need to say anything about this passage? I think Paul's point gets across quite well. As the argument that every single person is guilty before a Holy God of sinning against Him comes to a close Paul bluntly explains that we are all in the same sunken ship of depravity.

I will say one thing in light of the modern perception of the state of a non-believer. This, and other passages, make it very clear that a person who has not repented of their sin and put their faith in Jesus Christ is a willing enemy of God. That means that when we know people who clearly believe in a different Jesus (Catholics, Muslims, nominal Christians, etc...) we do them no favor by treating them as if they are just a little off with their theology. The only thing that takes a person from the state described above and makes them a new creation is the regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

3 comments:

Crowm said...

Hey Stephen,

I'd be interested in hearing you expand on a few things if possible.

1) I think I understand what you mean about a "different Jesus" for Catholics, Muslims, etc. Would you be willing to describe those? Maybe a post would be better than an answer here.

2) What exactly is a nominal Christian?

I'll leave it at that for now.

Blessings!

Crowm

Stephen Burnett said...

Hey man, I must say that I know several Catholics who are very grounded in good Christian doctrine. I realize that the Catholic church as a whole, in doctrine and practice, does not line up with the Bible's clear teachings about Grace not of works, and the Authority of Scripture, and the Lordship of Christ, the list goes on. But I do believe it is unfair to file all those who claim to be Catholics together. I know many people who were raised Catholic but have a strong relationship with Christ.
Otherwise, very well put. Thank you!
In Christ,
~Stephen

Stephen B. said...

Crowm,

I'm working on a post that expands my thoughts on the subject.

Stephen,

I understand what you're saying. All I can really say in response is that it looks like you understand the point I was making. Because a relationship does exist between Catholicism and the Bible I am certain that a person in the Catholic Church can be saved. However, if someone is aligned with the teachings of Catholicism I don't see how they can be worshiping the same Jesus I worship.

I'm not sure why a person would call him or herself a Catholic and not want to be filed together with the majority of Catholics.

I will try to clear that up a little better in my expanded thoughts but overall we might have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for the comments you guys!

Grace and Peace,
Stephen