Thursday, July 17, 2008

What is Sin? Part 2

This is part 2 of a series on sin. For part 1 of the series go to my post on 7/10/08. Remember also that, though I try to post something every day, my compact theology posts are done every Thursday.

Sin is Inherited From Adam

"...sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned" (Romans 5:12)

There does not exist any sort of restart as far as sin in the world . Once Adam sinned all of his ancestry would be guilty by inheritance (see verses 18-19).

This is also evident in the words of King David as he prayed in repentance of his sin in the story of he and Bathsheba.
"Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me" (Psalm 51:5).

Death is Judgment of Our Guilt of Sin

This is a difficult doctrine to face. God's judgment of sin is both physical and spiritual death (Genesis 3). The proof of sin and our guilt of sin is that we all die. Consider Romans 5 again, Paul makes the case that there was no Law from Adam to Moses and yet everyone still died from Adam to Moses. Paul makes the argument that the Law was not the basis of judgment before it was written, mankind's guilt before God was proven in that death existed among all mankind (Romans 5:13-14).

Implications

It is a difficult thing to read on the subject of sin and let me assure you that it is even more difficult to write on. The implications of sin and, in this case, inherited sin are very troubling. My hope is that this will expand your love for God and your view of His grace.

The first (and perhaps most difficult) implication of this doctrine is that the fact that infants die in any stage of development is proof that they are guilty of sin. This is not a statement as to whether or not all infants and young children who die before having the ability to acknowledge Christ as Savior are saved from judgment. It is, rather, a statement that from the moment of conception (remember Psalm 51:5) we are utterly dependent on the grace of God for salvation.

The second implication I want to point out is that inherited sin and the corruption it stirs in us shows us to what extent we need a Savior. Not only do we need a Savior before most people in America would acknowledge we are alive but that Savior must save us from our sin as well as from the judgment of sin. In the next few weeks I will attempt to show you just how sinful we are. The fact of the matter is we are corrupted by sin to the point that only the Holy Spirit's work of Regeneration and after that Sanctification can save us from our slavery.

On a much more joyful note the third implication is that if you understand the root of death in the world it should make you marvel even more at the death of Jesus Christ. "No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father" (John 10:18). Jesus' death was not the result of his coming into the world, it was "of [his] own accord." His death was not because of his sin but because of ours. I hope in the coming weeks you will see just how beautiful that death is up against the horror of our sin.

Thanks guys,
Stephen


No comments: