Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Road Rage Approval

Today's post is borrowed from Jason Lapp's blog yesterday:

So this morning I had something picked out for my blog but my trip to work gave me something different to share. On an average day traffic can get pretty hectic coming to work but normally in the summer time things are a little lighter on the interstate. This morning, near a merging lane, someone in a pick up decided they could get over to the outside lane without having to worry if cars were in the way or not. I saw them merge on to the interstate and quickly get over into the center lane. I was one lane away from the goal of this pick up truck. Finally with no room to merge over the driver just cuts off the car in front of me and we all slam the brakes on in enjoyment (enjoyment is called sarcasm). So we go about driving along the interest all bunched up together. The car and the pick up are kind of pulling away once the traffic clears up but I notice the car is tailing the pick up really close. Then, with some room in the center lane, the car tries to pull around the pick up, I'm guessing to let him know he did not approve of his move a few miles back, the pick up decides to speed up and not let him around. Now the story takes a turn.

I decide I want to have my opinion myself so I think, "That person in the car ought to give that person in the pick up what they deserve for the move they pulled earlier." So I watch as they play a little cat and mouse game down the interstate. We near the exit ramps for downtown and I notice the car has to get over to get off the interstate and the pick up just keeps on rolling down the road. I'm bummed. I wanted to see something happen. Don't we all? I mean the person in the pick up deserved it right? Then the Holy Spirit speaks and reminds me of His Word in Romans one. After the list Paul gives to describe those who do not see fit to acknowledge God (Romans 1:28) he says these words to close chapter one, "Though they know God's decree, that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them." That was me. I was giving approval to the person in the car playing their role as God. "Vengeance is mine says the Lord", not a humans' but God's!
God is so gracious to show us our sin through His beautiful Word. Are you in the Word? Do you study? This is my challenge: get in the Scripture and beg for God to be gracious and reveal the sin in your life but don't stop there. Go to the cross and know that forgiveness is in the blood of Jesus whom God sent to die for those who would believe. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

Click here to see Jason's blog.

No comments: