Thursday, July 9, 2009

Unconditional Election Part 7

VII. John 6

One of the most common terms used to refute the doctrine of unconditional election is the phrase “whosever will may come” (Rev. 22:17). Here in John 6:35 Jesus speaks in a similar way:

“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.”


As a Calvinist I love these words. The universality of the gospel call is part of its beauty. I know that I don’t have to be “good enough” for Christ, I must only trust in him.

We must not, however, take off our theological thinking caps here because Jesus certainly doesn’t stop teaching. After speaking in universal terms Jesus presents a problem in 6:36:

“But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe.”


As Christians we see the beauty of the gospel. We recognize that apart from Christ we are dead sin and under God’s wrath. The question is, why on earth doesn’t everybody see that!? What is the difference between a believer and a non-believer? Intelligence? Level of sanity? Jesus answers this question in 6:37:

“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”


It is impossible to escape this definite wording. Some do not believe and yet all that the Father gives Jesus will come to him. What does it mean to “come to Jesus” if not to trust in him for salvation?

If that isn’t clear enough 6:44 is even clearer:

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.”


This indicates that the connection between the “giving” from the Father and the “coming” of the believer is the Father drawing the believer to come to Christ; and they will come to him without fail. Jesus further illustrates his point in 6:65:

"This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."


What do we learn from Jesus’ words here in John 6?

1. Everyone who believes in Christ will have eternal life.
2. There are some who do not believe in Christ.
3. The reason for #2 is because no one believes in Christ unless they are graciously chosen and drawn by God.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

No comments: