Monday, June 1, 2009

Heaven Came Down

O what a wonderful, wonderful day, day I will never forget;
After I'd wandered in darkness away, Jesus my Savior I met.
O what a tender, compassionate friend, He met the need of my heart;
Shadows dispelling, with joy I am telling, He made all the darkness depart.

Born of the Spirit with life from above into God's family divine,
Justified fully thru Calvary's love, O what a standing is mine!
And the transaction so quickly was made, when as a sinner I came,
Took of the offer, of grace He did proffer, He saved me, O praise His dear name!

Now I've a hope that will surely endure after the passing of time;
I have a future in heaven for sure there in those mansions sublime.
And it's because of that wonderful day, when at the cross I believed;
Riches eternal and blessings supernal, from His precious hand I received.

Chorus
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul,
When at the cross the Savior made me whole;
My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day,
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul!
-John W. Peterson

2 comments:

robert said...

"Christian hedonist"? Yikes! Not exactly sure how that seeming oxymoron works out--unless it means that the pleasure of God is the chief good.

It was your quotation of John Peterson's "Heaven Came Down" that caught my eye this morning. Today is the 88th anniversary of his birth. And if you'd like to know the story behind the song, you can find it on my daily blog Wordwise Hymns this morning.

Stephen B. said...

Thanks for commenting. Christian hedonism is about pleasure in God, not seeking out everything that pleases our sinful desires.

I looked at your blog. Good stuff. I love hymns and it's always interesting finding out the stories behind them. I'll have to check out some more stories from it sometime.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen