Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Becoming the Message Part 1

About this time last year I was teaching at my church and accidentally tested my Pastor with a difficult question. While trying to make a point I meant to ask him (knowing what his answer would be) to sum up the gospel in one sentence. Instead I asked him to sum up the gospel in one word. This didn’t seem to throw him off too much as he pondered the question for a moment and then said “Christ.” Though it didn’t strike me as a profound answer at the time (partly due to the nervousness of teaching and the fact that I had accidently asked the question wrong) I can now look back at that answer and say “yes!” because it such a wonderful truth. Not only did Christ do the work to make the gospel possible. He is the gospel.

But the question we as Christ’s ambassadors should be asking is how we can most effectively present this gospel message. If the message can be summed up as “Christ” how can we, who have are empowered by his Spirit, most fully and vividly present him to a lost and dying world? I think the answer to this question can be found in the life of the apostle Paul who became the message in order to most effectively propagate that message to the world. Here are some of the ways that I have seen him become the message:


1. In his love for and dedication to Christ.
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. (Phil. 3:7-11)


Paul loved Jesus Christ. His love for Jesus was so consuming that he would rather “away from the body and at home with the Lord.” This love for Christ displayed the message because of people Paul demonstrated what it meant to be reconciled to the one against whom you were once at war.

Paul had not merely become keen with a religious system, he had been changed by Christ and now had real love to show it.

2. In the way he saw his conversion.
For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! (1 Cor. 9:16)


Most of us have a conversion experience and then later on feel called to a certain type of ministry through the recognition of particular gifts and particular passions. Paul, on the other hand, could only look back to one event at which time he was called to salvation and the ministry that would consume his life.

In Galatians 1 Paul is recounting what we would call his “testimony” when he makes a startling connection, “But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles…” (Gal. 1:15-16) Other examples of Paul talking about his purpose in life being the same as his ministry, which was tied up with his conversion are found in Romans 1:5 and Acts 20:24.

Imagine if your first memory was as a 25 year old at the end of a job interview and the interviewer says, “you can start training tomorrow.” Chances are your entire identity would be wrapped up in this job. How much more in this case when Creator and Lord has called you to the ministry of the gospel?

3. In the passion he had for seeing people be saved.
I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh. (Romans 9:1-3)


A message isn’t much of a message if it doesn’t have an intended audience. Though I think much of modern evangelism has become far too man-centered, it is still necessary for the evangelist to care for the souls of the people to whom he has been called to proclaim the gospel. Paul takes this so far as to use odd language when speaking of his people, the nation of Israel. He goes as far as to say that he could with the he were cut off from Christ for their sake. We have already seen Paul’s love for Christ. He’s not going to remove himself from Christ (nor can he), but how far do you think he will go to get the gospel to his people?

Stay tuned for part 2.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

No comments: