Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Strange Grace in Apostasy

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. 1 John 2:19
In studying 1 John I discovered something…John made a mistake. That’s right. The Bible can’t be inerrant, which means it must be…errant. You see, as I was reading I saw here in 2:19 where it says “…that it might become plain that they all are not of us…” and I yelled (in my head) “John! Stop talking like God intended this to happen!” But alas, John cannot hear my screaming thoughts, not from Jerusalem, nor from Patmos, nor from Heaven. So I am left with this strange verse.

I am kidding of course. The Bible doesn’t make mistakes; I make mistakes (according to my professors, spell check, and my girlfriend). So instead of yelling at John or claiming that God-breathed Scripture is errant I have to figure out what John meant and what the implications of that meaning are for my life.

So what does the Holy Spirit speaking through John mean when speaking about apostasy in 1 John 2? I think the meaning of this is that those who currently deny Christ as Lord, whether by word or actions (James 2:14), have never been saved by Christ; and therefore have never truly been a member of the flock of Christ. But the surprising thing about this is that John claims that the “going out” of these antichrists was by design.

But who is the designer? I doubt John is saying that the designer is the apostate because it doesn’t seem like they would do something so bad in order to be nice to the true flock. The clear implication is that God is working this terrible act of rebellion for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

But why? What grace could there possibly be in God causing those who were “not of us” to “go out from us”? I came up with 4 reasons:

To preserve the truth of the gospel. 1 John 2:22 connects a theme of 1 John, namely, being a liar, with these apostates who claim that Jesus is not the Christ. That is not to say that every unregenerate person goes that far in their explicit teaching but any person who’s life has not been changed by the gospel cannot grasp the fullness of the gospel (1 John 2:20) and will distort it in some way.

To protect the flock from deceivers. 1 John 2:26 makes this point clear. I don’t know any good pastor who says, “I sure do hope there are some wolves in my flock.” That is not to say that non-Christians shouldn’t be allowed to come to church services and activities. It is to say that they shouldn’t be a part of the flock.

To present the church without spot or wrinkle. Let’s face it, there are 80 year-old ladies who have taken a seat in a pew every week for the last 75 years who will die lost because they did not truly embrace Christ as their Savior. But Scripture still reveals that anytime a goat leaves the flock it’s a win for the church. Remember Paul’s reason in Ephesians 5 for Christ’s death, “that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish” (5:26-27).

To promote evangelism of the apostate. This lesson is definitely found in the Bible (Matthew 18:15-20, remember to treat someone like a heathen or a tax collector includes evangelism). I didn’t fully see this truth until it crashed into my life. Last year I learned that two people with whom I had attended church abandoned the faith. I got the chance to plea with them to obey the gospel and put their faith in Christ. But had those two not gone out I would not have had the opportunity to ask them to genuinely come in. Neither of them have repented (to my knowledge) but at least all the cards are on the table.

Long post, I know. But I hope it was helpful.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

3 comments:

Crowm said...

Good morning Stephen.

As always, your posts are thought provoking. This particular one is not an exception. Thanks for the thoughts.

Here's a couple of things I'm chewing on while reading.

1) You said, "I think the meaning of this is that those who currently deny Christ as Lord, whether by word or actions (James 2:14), have never been saved by Christ; and therefore have never truly been a member of the flock of Christ."

Would you include Peter as capable of apostasy? What about the other apoostles who were no where to be found when Christ was crucified?

2) Is it possible for someone to be guilty of rebellion (which includes intent) if that is what they are created for or destined to do? In other words, I see a difference between God allowing and God causing.

That's just some thoughts. I'll look forward to your response. As always, feel free to delete my comment if you desire.

Love in Christ,
m

Stephen B. said...

Crowm,

Great questions, I’ll give them a shot.

1) That depends on one’s belief on whether or not the apostles were saved at that time. I think they were saved but their actions could be due to the fact that the Holy Spirit had not yet been sent to embolden them or the fact that they did not have the understanding of what was taking place that Christ would give them after the resurrection. This question is thought provoking so I will try to get a better understanding of the apostles at this stage. I will say that repentance plays a part in the whole deal and in the case of the people of whom John is speaking there was no repentance at that time.

2) It looks like you might have misunderstood what I saw as God’s “intent” in this. This post is about the people who were not truly converted “going out from us” and not saying that He caused their actual rejection of Christ. The rejection was allowed, God has no need to cause those who are His enemies to reject Him. If that doesn’t answer your question let me know.

Thanks for the participation!
Grace and Peace,
Stephen

JRL said...

Crowm and Stephen,

Crowm is a super nice dude and well Stephen I see you like every Saturday morning and you are pretty nice dude as well. ha Here are my best thoughts on Crowm's questions and Stephen's response. I'll try and keep it short:

1. I think as far as Peter and the other apostles you may have something in the sense that the Holy Spirit had not been sent but I would also say "currently" seems to be the practice of sinning. The unrepentant heart. We know exactly Peter’s response once he has denied the Lord and it is quick repentance. "Currently" would be the state of unrepentance but Peter sinned and quickly repented so we don’t see him in a habitual state of unrepentance. Does that make sense?

2. Our natural state would be who we are as sinners through Adam and God allowing us to be alive by common grace. God causing would be our supernatural state through regeneration by the second Adam's accomplished work of salvation.

Just my thoughts.

Grace upon grace,
JRL