Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Limited Atonement Remix Part 8

VII. Limited Atonement and Evangelism

There are two objections of my view of the atonement that I have heard regularly which relate to evangelism.

1. How can you present a definite atonement to the lost?
I remember taking an exam about two years ago for my Systematic Theology II class and reading the question "Which view of the atonement allows for the most honest presentation of the gospel?" I was disappointed with the framing of the question but not in the least uncertain about the answer my teacher was looking for. So, knowing that my school, professor, and textbook all advocated 4-point Calvinism, I checked the box for unlimited atonement.

The problem I had with the question I was being asked was that it was a subjective question loaded with assumptions (none of my tests in that class strived for objectivity). The biggest assumption is that a person has to present the atonement to an unbeliever as something that was done on their behalf. If that were the case, why don't we find the apostles in Acts telling unbelievers "Jesus died for you." Instead we see more emphasis on what we should do in light of the fact that God is going to judge every person and Christ has died on the cross and risen from the grave.

Some of you might ask "how would you present the atonement to an unbeliever?" In short, I think it is appropriate to say "Jesus died so that if you repent of your sins and trust in him for your salvation your sins will be forgiven." I have written more extensively on evangelism here and here.

2. If Christ's death was only for some, what motivation is there to evangelize all?

The most obvious reason is that we don't know who is elect and who isn't. The bible doesn't tell Christians to only evangelize that elect. It gives assurance that those who are elect will be saved. In fact, Paul was encouraged in his efforts because of the definite nature of election and the atonement (Acts 18:10).

Evangelism is a form of worship and obedience. We should not treat it as if Jesus isn't able to save people without us regardless of our view of the atonement. Instead we joyfully obey Christ in propagating the gospel throughout the world.

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

No comments: